Wednesday, October 5, 2011

About URBNLUX Artist Benjamin Rollins Caldwell


“Design and Conceptualization has always come naturally to me. Luckily, it’s also something that excites me. My operation is a modern studio furniture company that uses the skill and expertise of multiple craftsmen from different backgrounds. My company, BRC Design, makes limited edition objects, one-of-a-kind pieces, and custom projects. I work directly with the materials from the inception of the idea. For me, the physical acts of making an object is just as important as the cognitive evolution of the concept. My objective is to use materials in such a way that I completely transform their original purpose into something new and innovative. More often than not, the most fascinating aspect of a material lies under its exterior surface. I love tearing things apart to see what interesting parts I can find and wield into something completely unique.  Everyday I am surprised by what materials I stumble across and what ideas pop in my head. I submerse myself for countless hours tinkering around in seemingly mundane environments: thrift stores, salvage yards and abandoned warehouses. It is in these environments where my imagination runs freely until that spontaneous moment an object triggers my creative synapses and sparks an idea - a process that I cannot force but rather on that works itself out naturally. Sometimes the objects I discover simply inspire an overall design idea and other times the objects actually become the raw material for the piece.”